13 September 2006

So long, farewell etc.............

As my summer season at Yorkshire Leisure comes to a close, it certainly ended in a memorable fashion.

Friday nights are always a big deal for the entertainments and recreation staff, and managing kids and teenage parties and the staff and karaoke etc is like spinning plates. If nothing else, the takings have proven worthwhile – over £1200 from my 5pm start of shift. Sadly, I think I’d sweated blood on that night – not getting chance for a toilet break, never mind my allotted food break…

I don’t think memorable quite cuts it for describing my night. I was called every name under the sun when I had to eject some ‘customers’, one of whom was a well known school bully in my time at secondary school, and who certainly joined the queue of punching me too…. Unfortunately, I didn’t realise this until I ejected her and her friends, and she reminded me that I was a ‘F*&!@*g snotty bitch when I was at school too!’. Ta very much for that love, I shall pop it on my CV for future job applications!

More amusingly was their attempt to bully one of my French members of staff. He’s such a fabulous guy, but wouldn’t serve someone without any ID (which is his prerogative) and I supported his decision to do so. Cue the xenophobic tendencies. I would have told them so, but I don’t think they’d quite know what xenophobia is, and I couldn’t be bothered to explain. I did point out that I didn’t care if the guy in question wanted to get his ‘dick out’ to prove his age, as he still wouldn’t be getting served.

It’s a good job I’ve got elephant hide sometimes, lots of insults were bouncing of my armour tonight! Although I will take as a complement one of the staff telling me they were only arguing with me because I look intelligent. I did point out that looks can be very deceiving!

Still, the night ended on a high with a customer asking for my phone number and then ‘tailgating’ me around the bar and lounge. All I could hear were cackles from the staff behind the bar, who had obviously been egging him on all night. Still, revenge is a dish best served cold. He doesn’t have my phone number, but a certain Frenchman will be getting a set of interesting texts soon enough………