05 August 2006

Chewing the fat

While I won’t claim to be a heffer – I’ve always been very self conscious about my weight at times. I guess it might be a female thing and the society we live in.

I remember reading an article in Now magazine a few weeks ago exposing the fashion industry, by someone on the inside. The author claimed that designer labels didn’t go past a size 12 or 14 (US 8 to 10 I believe) because the item cost more to manufacture, and that designer labels didn’t look right on fatter women. I was really irritated to read this myself. I wouldn’t call myself fat, but I’m a size 14 and curvy – why is that a problem?! The average sized woman in the UK is a 16, as was Marilyn Monroe – one of the greatest female icons of all time.

Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with models like Kate Moss, but I admire models like Sophie Dahl much more. Saying that skinny models sets up false ideals is a bit of a joke really – the only person who can dictate body image is yourself.

I used to be very very overweight – and I will admit that when I was fat I used to say I was happy. I know now that that was a lie. I’ve gained weight since doing my masters, and I’m unhappy at the moment – I dread to think how I’d feel back at over 13 stone again!

The reason for this rather random post? I’ve been back dieting (WeightWatchers style) since I returned home, and have lost an impressive 8lbs in the last 2 weeks. I am feeling rather smug with myself at the moment, and am aiming to lose another stone before starting university in September. I doubt it will change my clothes size, but that doesn’t really matter does it? I would rather wear the size clothes I wear and look good in them that squeeze myself into a 10 or 12 and have muffin tops or extra boobs. (Women will know what I mean there, men may be confused!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, I know what you mean about muffin tops and extra boobs! Ugh. Bigger women can look absolutely fantastic wearing clothes that suit them - to the extent where you don't even notice that they're more generously proportioned than is fashionable, and skinny women can look appalling. I'd still rather be skinny, but I know that getting there will damage my health so I don't bother. Don't actually know what size I am, it depends on the shop, but I'm definitely not a 6 or 8 any more!

Rosey said...

I don't really care that Designer labels don't come any bigger than size 12 since I can't afford them anyway!

Mat said...

Designer labels are modelled around the catwalk..


Need I point out that catwalk models are ludicrously skinny, and rather than being a model of feminity, designed for asexual stickinsects?

Of course, magazine articles do lie.....clothes don't change in value for size, as the main cost in the textile industry is manpower as opposed to material, and it doesn't take that many more stitches!

Pinko sell clothes (called Large, a little misleadingly in a size 44, which if I remember correctly is a UK 16) Emillo Pucci sells clothes in an 18. Prada also sells in a 16, Dolce and Gabbana sell in a 16.

To be honest, I don't know if I was lucky, but none of the designers I found didn't sell clothes in atleast a size 16. SimplyBe don't sell clothes at less than a 14, so I think there is clearly a market for different clothes to different sizes. (Topshop sell nothing above a size 16 that I've ever seen, but I don't see people protesting out).

I guess this article was online, and not very well reseached. To be honest I found $1520 dresses. Unless they were made out of solid platinum, encrusted with some material so rare I can't even think of one, they probably don't have to worry about material costs.

Lola Cherry Cola said...

This is going to sound bad, but some styles really don't suit larger women. I'm not a stick insect myself, but I do avoid the styles that I know will make me look huge, like the current baggy style tops that goes in on the hips :-s I do agree that people shouldnt be squeezing themselves into smaller sizes though, there isnt anything worse than seeing overhang on a pair of tight jeans