10 July 2006

Trying new things

My father has a wonderful expression. He says that you should:

"Try anything once - except incest and Morris dancing"

It's a general rule of thumb apparently! Anyway, imagine my parents' humour when I phoned them up and said (while trying to keep a straight voice and not laugh):

"I'm going Belly dancing!"

I had to interrupt the laughter to explain that yes, I was serious, and yes, I was going alone. I was determined to go and give it a try - I grew up with different styles of dance and still have a whole shelf of dance medals from childhood and teenage years.

Anyway, it was good fun, my stomach muscles have never been worked quite as well for a while, and in the words of dirty dancing:

"God didn't give you Maracas, if he didn't want you to shhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkeeeeeeeee them!!"

And my oh my, did I shake them!

1 comment:

Dory said...

Hmmm... I've always wanted to try belly dancing, but no-one has wanted to come with me. Maybe I should follow your example and go on my own...

Blue x

P.S. Link added to my blogroll. I hope you don't mind...