14 March 2006

Student Diet

Ok so everyone assumes that I live off baked beans and pasta.
This is a blatant lie. I live off toast, crumpets, bananas and diet coke.

You need a strong stomach (and tolerant housemates) to live off beans all the time. I have neither and hate baked beans.

While I am an absolutely fabulous baker, I have a very limited range of meals that I can actually cook. Add to this my very limited budget and you have me living off limited food groups.
This isn't to say that I don't eat properly - I do (just not when I'm in my flat).

Having just looked in my fridge it consists of:
half a bottle of martini (has been there for 6 months)
Low fat margarine
Bag of peppers
Many tins of tuna
3 jars of Hoisin sauce
Skimmed milk
Low fat cream cheese
Water chestnuts
Bamboo
Weightwatchers Jam
Coffee
Mustard

Sitting on my shelf I have:
Pasta
Rice
Noodles
Onions
Garlic
One egg
Tea bags
Sugar
Tinned tomatoes
Tinned fruit
Flour


Recipe suggestions in the comments box please.

3 comments:

DC said...

Fry a little garlic and onion until it softens but isn't brown.

Add the sliced peppers for a couple of minutes.

Add the tin of tomatoes, season and cook until the peppers are soft.

Beat the egg and then pour it into the tomato mix. Stir as if you were scrambling the eggs.

Some fresh basil or parsley is nice but not essential.

I'd like to claim this for my own but is from Real Fast Food by Nigel Slater.

Anonymous said...

Pasta with the tinned tomatoes (heated up), dice the peppers and chuck them in, and stick in a can of tuna too. And go shopping.

Tamarisk said...

Tuna pasta bake.

Cook some pasta.

Lightly fry onions (and garlic if you so wish). Chop pepper, chuck pepper, tuna (preferably without the tin) and tomatoes (see previous brackets) in to the pan with the onions (and garlic if you added it). Stir. Add the pasta. Stir. Put the lid on, put the whole lot in the oven and cook for about 10-15 minutes. Usually has a topping of grated cheese but I don't think that cream cheese will have quite the same effect.

Eat.

Go shopping :p