25 September 2005

Bar Etiquette

I, yet again laugh at first years (hereafter known as freshers), as they are so sodding dense. I know it's mean, but their entire purpose is for bar staff to take the piss out of.
They say stupid things, example 'which is cheaper, a single or a double' Gee, let me think. I know our bar is cheap, but a double will never be cheaper than a single.
'Can I have a black snakebite?' No, we don't do them, we do a snakebite and black, a snakey B or a Diesel.
To be honest, I'm not very PC with the freshers anyway. I always pick on the southerners cos they make me laugh. Whatever they ask for, I always check that they don't want a shandy instead. I know I'm mean, but it makes me laugh, as none of the bar staff are southern. They just can't handle their ale.
I particularly hate the pissheads who feel that they need to speak slowly, as I may not understand them. Love, it's you that's pissed, not me.
I'm sure that they will soon learn.
M

5 comments:

MuppetLord said...

I wouldn't bet on it.

Anonymous said...

"'Can I have a black snakebite?' No, we don't do them, we do a snakebite and black, a snakey B or a Diesel."

A little pedantic. In Lancaster we always called them snakebite blacks but I think anything will do providing you can work out what they mean. Never heard of a diesel but nevermind.

"I know I'm mean, but it makes me laugh, as none of the bar staff are southern. They just can't handle their ale."

The bar staff can't handle their ale? Or the southerners?

Interesting that your blog's title is about being stereotyped as a student but you are quick to stereotype southerners, even if you do do it in a rather tongue-in-cheek manner.

OK perhaps that's me being a little too sensitive.

Good blog.

Merys said...

I take on board what you say there, and I guess I am a hypocrite, but all the students this year are really, really rude. Particularly in comparison with other years. Besides, the southerners regularly take the piss out of my accent, so why not share the love!

Anonymous said...

Hehe fair point.

Despite being a southerner who attended a northern university bizzarely I never really had anyone take the piss out of my accent. Unless perhaps they were but I was too dense to notice :)

Merys said...

to be honest, I only do cos they do it to me. As a bar maid, I'm used to repeating the order to make sure it's right. I swear they order coke to get me to say it again in full yorkshire